Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Stuffed Tomatoes

 
We're all about tomatoes this week. A friend of mine picked up 14 boxes for me at a produce auction... for the grand price of $76
We had a canning day and put up 45 quarts, froze 100 lbs.
Soup, sauce, grilled, fresh... We've had them
Today I decided to get kind of 'foodie'. 
And so I stuffed them.
Cut the top off of tomato
Hollow out
Sprinkle tomato with pinch of salt
Put about 3 Tb of filling in
i.e. mushrooms, peppers, onions, rice, cheese, bacon
I cooked up some brown rice, with some of the previously ousted tomato, then added green and red peppers, side pork, garlic salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
Top your custom filling with an egg, cracked directly into tomato
Sprinkle with more salt and pepper
Parmesan Cheese
Fresh Parsley
(my only herb that has survived the drought)

Bake in a 425 Oven
Baking time is somewhat subjective
I like my eggs over hard
So they spent 40 minutes in there

Yummy, I added a dollop of sour cream before serving.
Duh, of course I made this while Bronz was gone.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should win the prize . . . that is a ton of canning and freezing! I will try the stuffed tomato recipe.

    I was sent to you by Carol Card . . . A friend of mine from high school days . . . I think you live next door to her sister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, and we are sure glad to have her in the neighborhood.
      I just made my last box up into salsa this morning, and once the littles are sleeping I'll stick it in jars! Whew, glad to be done!

      Delete