Wednesday, October 9, 2013

On the Road Again

So, I have a little rant to get off my chest. It has to do with the myriad of treks to unknown locales in order to find my husband near some field.
Our phone convo's go like this:
"Turn where the greenhouse used to be... You know where that is? No?! Everyone knows where that is. Then take lefts on both Y's... and just try and find us... Gotta go." 
Or tonight's:
"I'm on the Sinclair blacktop, I've taken you by there. I've got to run." 
Yup, I've been by there, and where they feed cattle, and where his Dad lives... and so which of those three places am I to guess that he's bagging at tonight?
I think some husband/wife team, who is fabulous at communication -that counts us out- Need to come up with some sort of app.  The code can be written in man - language "Bring XYZ (parts, pizza, pop...) to Ervil's (some long gone, rest his soul, former farmer).  Then the app will magically translate that to Left & Right's and actual street names.  That would be pure genius.  Or we could save some money and get the men to use actual locations, and living people, and current landmarks... But it would probably be easier to create an app.
I'm of the opinion that it's another way for guys to prove themselves, how long they've lived in the area, how well they know the landscape, and how well their 1978 plat book is memorized...
In the meantime, I'm the girl backing up and turning around in all the field drive-ins from here to the Ervil place.
Farm life definitely does have it's perks... I don't want to come across as too negative, cuz I really do love it.  I like it that my kids get to go see their Daddy's work.  And everyone is always kind.  (Course that could be because I usually come with food)
Tonight Blake was wiggling and making all kinds of gestures, until I realized that he had spotted a cow and wanted to run over and see it.  You'd think two big dogs kissing him to pieces would've been enough.  And the fact that he does have cows at home, and he had just spent 40 minutes a couple hours earlier climbing gates and kissing cows.
Kamie's little guy, Mayor Moo, ducked out of the fence tonight.  She quickly stepped up to the job of putting him back in.  My heart felt like bursting with the total cuteness of watching her, in a little dress, marching along the fence shooing him back into the pasture, and yes, he's taller than her.
And I'll admit it, seeing my man in a tractor still makes my heart go pitter-patter.  So I guess I'll keep putting up with the lousy directions...  Cuz of things like that sweet smell of corn silage, red bees wings flying in the air, tractors, wranglers and a flannel shirt on my very own farm boy.

1 comment:

  1. haha! yeah i wouldnt do so well with that! addresses and gps.

    ReplyDelete