Friday, May 24, 2013

A Helping Hand From A Few Good Friends

I think I mentioned awhile back that I am starting a Couch 2 5k...  It's been great being able to fit a workout in.  And running makes the most of my l e e t l e bit of exercise time.  I usually go early, while Bronz feeds Blake breakfast.  Can I just say that it's incredible to have your husband encourage you in a goal, and make sacrifices (like some mornin' sleep) in order to help you reach it?  Cuz it is.  My bright spot is getting home and having him ask me how I did, and telling me how hard it is to do what I'm doing. (Which is like zilch compared to what he could do with zero training.) 
I had a really lousy run yesterday.  (Lousy, is completely my Dad's word, he uses it about everything negative, and really should own a patent on it.  I didn't realize how much I talk like him until Kamie is starting to point out that "You sound like Grandpa Dean" I do, like what? Then she proceeds to do a pretty good imitation of Him... But I digress.)  My home cheerleader even began to be skeptical.  "So do you think you can do it?"
This morning I called in reinforcements, one of us has a 5k tomorrow (Def. not me) So I pulled out of their warm little beds my 13 year old Brother-in-law and 17 year old sister, and the three of us did a training run.  I told them to just race each other at their pace and I would follow, but they didn't.  Nope they hung around me,  my brother-in-law literally running in circles.  When I quit for approximately thirty seconds they made me start running again.  When I said I couldn't do it, Wally ran backwards in front of me telling me what a good job I was doing.  While Abbie kept updating her Spotify playlist for the most motivating music ever.  And y'know what.  I got 20 minutes of running in the books.  And that's pretty amazing for me.  To top it off we used our cool down time for praying together.  I learned that from my Mom.  She uses her exercise time to pray for each family member.  I determined to do that, as well, while running this summer. 
There are some perks to running with the older sista... We celebrated our run with warm, -out of the oven- warm, Rhubarb Pie.  And my home cheerleader even freed up some of his Schwans Vanilla Ice Cream. 
In the genre of Inspiration/Running:  I just read an incredible book this week.  I happened to grab it at the Library.  Link is Here
  Picture
It made me cry, and I don't usually cry over books.
I think what drew me into his story was his attitude.
Rather than spending his time finding out why his life was rotten, He accepted it.
Rather than waiting for life to happen, he ran to meet it.
His work ethic
"Why do you want to come to America?"
"To work!!  I Love to Work"
Acknowledging God in everything.
Complete Nail Biter.
I won't be a spoiler. 
So,
this is a must read.
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to this running thing, and some days are definitely better than others! I love your reinforcements. I walk/run with some young women from church, and my husband. He has been running longer and of course can go father and faster but he is still my very favorite cheerleader and a huge part of the reason I try in the first place. Just being on the same track with him, when I'm on lap two and he is on lap five or six, cheers me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. The elephant is eaten one bite at a time!

      Delete